April 24, 2012

Angry (Red) Bird

This bird continues to spend its time in the trees right outside my house, singing and then attacking our windows.  To say it’s making us crazy, would be an understatement, and no one is more agitated by this angry red bird than our cat, Calista.

Does anyone know what kind of bird this is?  I thought it was a cardinal, but someone else corrected me and said it’s not a cardinal.

Cali sits and watches this guy for hours each day, silently stalking him from inside the house.

1. It sure looks like a Cardinal to me but the female. I’m not an expert and haven’t seen one since we left Memphis so it’s only by best guess.

2. I’m by no means a bird expert, but it looks like a cardinal to me, too. I thought the females were red and the males were brownish.

3. i have a couple of the birds as our regular back yard visitors. one looks just like it and the other one brownish. both of them always come together. a nice couple. i call them mrs and mr cardinal 🙂

4. It’s a male cardinal. The females are brown. In the animal kingdom the males are always the prettier of the two and the females are the plainer of the two. The males have to attract the females to them to mate. I know males can be pretty territorial, but I’ve never had one attacking windows, that’s probably pretty funny. Your poor cat!

5. It looks like a male Cardinal to me too.

6. I’m sorry I really don’t know much about birds, but Calista is soooo cute! I love it when cats just sit there patiently sharing out the window lol

7. I thought it was a cardinal so I’m not much help…my cat would be right with yours.

8. Beautiful shot of the bird !
    I have been watching bird for the past 20 years and I can assure you it is a male cardinal. The female is more brown with some red-orange on her wings and tuft.
    You can see them here : http://www.pbase.com/bmullen/female_cardinals

• Dear Inspired, thanks for setting us all straight! And, wow, I never know that was what a female cardinal looked like!

Animals, Spring