“Aim for the moon.  If you miss, you may hit a star.”
~ W. Clement Stone

The supermoon was absolutely amazing this weekend, but there was a huge gap between what I saw and what I was able to capture with my camera.  All of the shots I took Friday night were an epic failure.  It was too dark outside.  I don’t have a tripod or a telephoto lens.  My lack of skill and equipment was reinforced when I saw amazing captures shared by Robin, H. J. Ruiz,  WearOutYourVision, and Mona.

Then I saw Ian’s post with an amazing supermoon shot, and I remembered a shot I took in Normandy in 2010 (see bonus pic below).  Instead of trying to get an amazingly detailed shot of the sun without a telephoto lens, I needed to focus on a shot I could pull off.  I needed to get out earlier in the evening and put the moon in context of a wider shot.  By the time we finished dinner last night, it was still a little later than I’d hoped, plus it was a bit cloudy last night, but I was able to capture something halfway reasonable.

Do you think either shot has any potential?  Any tips for capturing the full moon next time around?

Supermoon Photo #1.  Partly covered with clouds, the supermoon shines above and in the pond.

Supermoon Photo #2.  Heading back home before it gets too dark to see down by the lake, I tried one more capture of the supermoon above the trail.

Bonus Photo:  Le Tour Vauban in Port-en-Bessin, France.  This was taken around 9:30 p.m. in early July and the sun had still not set.  I love the super long days that Europeans get to enjoy in the summer!

1. It doesn’t always help to have the equipment. It was too cloudy where I was last night, so I got nothing!! 😦

2. Loony, that helps me feel better! It was cloudy here last night, too. (You can see that in the photos I took.) But I did notice a lot of change as the intermittent clouds passed through, so I just kept snapping! 🙂

3. Some full moon we had. Actually, we had really nice thunderstorms here. No moon at all.

• Randy, I’m sorry to hear that! While it was cloudy here, the moon still had its moments and the thunderstorms didn’t hit until this morning and all day today.

4. The moon in the sky and its reflection, is a very good shot and very beautiful.
    It is my pleasure to visit your blog.

5. Thanks for sharing my link. 🙂 I like the bonus photo and the first one lots! As for tips, I always try and get the correct exposure for the moon first, remembering it is a fairly bright object moving reasonably fast. Hope that helps. 😉

6. I LOVE your shots! LOVE them! The reflection of the moon and the moon over the winding road … most excellent!

7. I really like the second photo. The moon looks mysterious to me and I love it. We had rain so no moon photos for me 🙂

• Dear Northern Narrative, I’m so sorry you had rain and were denied the experience of the supermoon!

Architecture, Nature, Photography, Summer, Water