Just before the weekend, WordPress changed the default setting for the “notify me of follow-up comments via email” option. I’m not sure if this was intentional or if it is a bug in the program, but what I can tell you is that the default is now a checkmark in this box. If you are a WordPress user and tend to leave comments on the blogs you follow, this means you’re probably receiving an awful lot of comments you didn’t think you would.
Here are three things you can do about it…
- Try to remember to uncheck the box when you leave a comment.
- If, like me, you often forget to do this until after you’ve pressed the button to leave you comment, try this:
- From your WordPress dashboard, click on the Blogs I Follow link in the upper, left-hand corner.
- At the top of that page, click the Comments text link.
- One-by-one hover over anything listed on that page and then select the Delete option. This will unsubscribe you to the comments others are leaving on the post on the sites you follow if you forgot to untick the box originally.
- If you enjoy having followers leave comments on your site, consider adding a custom note to your comment form until this issue is resolved by WordPress.
- From your WordPress dashboard, select Settings and then Discussion from the left-hand side of the page.
- At the bottom of that page, you’ll see Comment Form and Prompt with a text field.
- Type in a note to your blog followers to remind them to uncheck the “notify me of follow-up comments via email” box before they submit their comment.
- Be sure to click save at the bottom of the page.
- It’s not pretty, but here’s what my form looks like now:
For more information on this issue, I found this forum on the WordPress web site helpful.
I hope this helps my fellow WordPress users, and even more importantly, I hope it encourages you to keep leaving me comment love about my photos on my blog!