When I posted this shot of a cool, old building in Columbus, Montana a few days ago, fellow photoblogger, Cindy from Photos from the Loonybin left a comment asking to see more of the building.  The shot I posted was one of the only ones I took, but fortunately I had a chance to return to the  building at Clough & Pratten one more time before I had to leave Montana and take a few more shots.

Earlier today, Melanie from One Step Closer suggested I try converting the photo to monotone like sepia or black and white.  Fortunately, these simple processing tricks are the limit of what I know in Picassa and Photoshop so I played with the new shots a bit below.

Sadly, I’ve still come up empty-handed in my search for more information on the history of this cool, old building.

So, what do you think now?  Have a favorite below or some good tips for me?

Old Building Photo #1.  Side view of the building that we were told was once a blacksmith shop and/or a stage coach station.

Old Building Photo #2.  Photo #1 converted to sepia.

Old Building Photo #3.  A wider view of the original shot of the side of the building that I posted a view days ago.

Old Building Photo #4.  The front of the building which faces Clough, the railroad tracks, and highway.

Old Building Photo #5.  The same shot as above converted to black and white.

1. Thank you so much – these are great!! I really love the first one converted to sepia. It suits the shot!

• I think that is my favorite, too. I really appreciate you suggesting more shots of the building!

2. The sepia is amazing! Those tones are already present in the brick work and with the old wagon in front it just looks timeless. It draws the eye away from the green door frame and the tires placed around the wagon wheels. It looks as though you’ve found an old photo lost in a shoe box! Great work, and thanks for the link to my blog.

3. Great composition in the first image

4. Old building number 2 and 5. Are nicely done. The suggestion for 2 really help make the shot.

• Kevin, thanks for your feedback. I never think of sepia on my own, but I do LOVE how this turned out. I’m so glad to have a community of smart, talented folks to help me learn! 🙂

5. wow those are just cool. 🙂

6. I love the sepia toned image.

7. It’s really lovely! I haven’t posted any sepia-toned images of my own. It’s something I’ve never managed to get quite right!

• Thanks, Meanderer! I always forget to try sepia. I really owe it to Melanie for the idea, and I’m so excited about how it turned out!

8. Oooo I love the old building look! I couldn’t pick a favorite because they are all so beautiful 🙂

9. Sadly, another Russel Ray camping trip comes to an end………………..

Architecture, Photography, Travel