When we take a road trip, we put as much effort into researching the coffee shops, diners, and restaurants we plan to visit for our meals as we do our route, hotels, and sights. With an 83-year-old history broken into two chapters, the Old Mill Tasty Shop is Wichita’s oldest downtown restaurant. This was our third visit to the Old Mill Tasty Shop in Wichita, Kansas, and it continued to exceed our expectations and delight our taste buds.
I highly recommend any of the following:
- The Blue Plate Special. From chicken fried chicken to meatloaf, the daily special has always been delicious!
- Tomato Bisque. Even on warmer days, this soup really hits the spot. With chunks of tomato and lots of fresh basil, it’s one of my all-time favorites. And I don’t mean my all-time favorite at the Old Town Tasty Mill, I mean my all-time favorite on the planet!
- Pretty Much Any Sandwich. There is a reason that the Old Mill Tasty Shop is on Only in Your State’s list of the nine best places for a sandwich in Kansas — they are all amazing! I’m a big fan of the reuben, and my daughter swears by the club sandwich. However, after reading this endorsement, I’m going to have to order the chicken salad sandwich the next time I go!
- Something from the Soda Fountain. The marble soda fountain at the Old Mill Tasty Shop doesn’t just look amazing, it also produces the most delicious malts, shakes, and sundaes. Their chocolate malts are nearly as good as my Dad’s. Nearly.
The next time I go, I’m going to be sure to try the green chili, order the chicken salad sandwich, and get an outstanding photograph (or two) of the marble soda fountain.
What about you? Have you visited the Old Mill Tasty Shop in Wichita, Kansas? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
A few tips for your visit:
- The Old Mill Tasty Shop is popular and fills up fast! Try to time your visit around peak times. They are currently open:
- Monday through Thursday: 11:00 am to 3:00 pm
- Friday: 11:00 am to 8:00 pm
- Saturday: 8:00 am to 8:00 pm
- A visit to the bathroom includes a tour of the kitchen. Don’t let that catch you off guard! To me, I’m always happy when a restaurant’s kitchen is an open book.
- Save room (and calories) for a treat from the soda fountain!
Don’t just take my word for it, here’s what a few other bloggers had to say about the Old Mill Tasty Shop.
- America’s Favorite Diners
- Dining Panel Review: Old Mill Tasty Shop Lives Up to Reputation by Ching Brubaker. (This article includes more than 30 photographs of the Old Mill Tasty Shop from over the past 80 years.)
- Old Mill Tasty Shop – Wichita, KS at Chain Free Eating in Wichita
- Field Trip: Wichita reviewed at Adventures with My Family