The weekend we were in Istanbul, protesters clashed with Turkish police right around the corner from our hotel. According to several new reports, the protests were due to newly enacted laws restricting Internet usage. I don’t know the history of the current government or the new laws.  I can’t possibly understand what it’s like to live […]

The Bosphorus Bridge spans the continents of Europe and Asia, linking the two halves of Istanbul.  This is a view between the two continents from the Bosphorus Straight. On Today’s Date in the Past: Peephole to Potential Sooooooo Ready for Spring! You Might Also Enjoy: Other Istanbul Posts Other Water Posts

The Bosphorus Strait separates Europe from Asia.  Approximately 35% of Istanbul is located on the European side of the Strait and the remaining 65% is located on the Asian side of the Strait.  While there wasn’t time for me to cross the Bosphorus Bridge and actually set foot on the Asian side of Istanbul, there was just […]

Hagia Sophia was originally a Christian cathedral, first Eastern Orthodox and then Roman Catholic, until it was converted to a mosque in 1453. When it was completed in 537, the Hagia Sophia (which means “Holy Wisdom) was the largest cathedral in the world.  It retained that honor for 1,000 years until the Seville Cathedral was completed in […]

Hagia Sophia was originally a Christian cathedral, first Eastern Orthodox and then Roman Catholic, until it was converted to a mosque in 1453. When it was completed in 537, the Hagia Sophia (which means “Holy Wisdom) was the largest cathedral in the world.  It retained that honor for 1,000 years until the Seville Cathedral was completed […]

A nazar is an eye-shaped charm, nearly always blue in color, believed to protect the wearer against the “evil eye.” It is common in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern countries where it is often seen hanging in homes, offices, cars, or incorporated into jewelry. Turkish people believe that a nazar will protect you from bad energy by […]

Turkish textile production dates back to the Ottoman period of the 16th and 17th centuries.  Today the textile industry is one of the most components of the Turkish economy with an annual export value of $5.4 billion.  On nearly every street and throughout the Grand Bazaar, beautiful Turkish textiles can be found from bolts of […]